Because immigration is an important part of Ontario society, most towns and cities in the province have community agencies that specifically help immigrants and refugees, or newcomers, settle in their new society. These services are called settlement services.
Settlement services are confidential, free of charge, and provided in multiple languages. Settlement workers come from many different cultural backgrounds, speak a variety of languages, and were often newcomers themselves.
Settlement agencies provide many different services, including
- An orientation to living in Canada
- Information and referrals to other community programs
- Language supports
- Help with employment
Depending on the agency, you may be eligible to access these services as an international student. You should call ahead to make an appointment and to inquire about your eligibility for services.
Find one near you with Settlement.Org.
Settlement Agencies - Partners of ISC Project
- Catholic Centre for Immigrants
- Centre francophone du Grand Toronto
- HMC Connections
- London Cross Cultural Learner Centre
- New Canadians' Centre of Excellence
- Newcomer Centre of Peel
- Niagara Folk Arts Multicultural Council
- North York Community House
- Peel Multicultural Council
- TNO - The Neighbouhood Organization
- Thunder Bay Multicultural Association
- University Settlement
- YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford
- YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
- YMCA of Sounthwestern Ontario