Pathways to Immigration

Learn how to stay in Ontario

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)

The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is open to both undergraduate, post-graduate, and graduate students. If you obtain a bachelor’s degree or a two-year diploma and a permanent full-time job offer from an Ontario employer, you can apply for permanent residence under the OINP. Graduates of one-year post-graduate certificate programs with a job offer may also be eligible for the OINP. Master’s or PhD program graduates can apply for the OINP without a job offer.

The Express Entry

The Express Entry process manages permanent residence applications for three federal economic immigration programs: Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program. The first two programs apply to international students.

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class is for applicants who have at least one year of Canadian work experience in a skilled, professional or technical field. International students who plan to apply for permanent residence under this class should start preparing the application 3 years before the submission date. There is a specific list of job categories included in this program.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Federal Skilled Worker Class is for applicants who are skilled professionals with qualifications and work experience in management positions, professions, or technical and skilled trades. In this class, the work experience does not have to be in Canada. Applicants are awarded points under the following six categories:

  1. Facility with English or French
  2. Education
  3. Work experience
  4. Age
  5. Job offer
  6. Adaptability Studying in Canada